MAXWELL MEMORIAL LIBRARY
The Friends of Maxwell Memorial Library
- email the Friends at: email@example.com
- 'Like' us on facebook.
- Check out the antique card catalog at the library for Friends' news and info.
- Next Meeting - Tuesday, January 21 at 1:00 p.m. in the Community Room
Each year, the Friends donate a decorated tabletop tree to Onondaga Free Library for their Festival of Trees. Here's this year's tree. We also decorate a wreath for the Holiday Open House at the Octagon House. It's almost finished.
Around Town Raffle! Thank you! Drawing was held October 26.
Tickets are $2.00 each, or 5 tickets for $5.00.
Two winning tickets will be drawn on Saturday, October 26.
We have two winners - Cynthia and Fran each won a bag!
Thank you to the local businesses for making this raffle a success:
The Inn Between, Krabby Kirk's, Camillus Country Club, Friendly's, Edible Arrangements, Cam's Pizza, Savvy Wine Cellar, Coppertop, Nesticos Too, Pizza Hut, Pudgie's Pizza, Moe's Soutwest Grill.
Friends' Annual Open House to Celebrate National Friends of Libraries Week
Saturday, October 19 at 12:00 noon - 2:00 p.m. in the Community Room
This year, a representative from Behind the Iron Gates will appraise and purchase (if you'd like to sell) your gold jewelry.
Refreshments & door prizes. See you there!
Carla's Corner has changed a little bit.
The Friends donated the oval table. Two of the leather chairs returned.
It's the perfect spot for reading the newspapers.
Our 10th Annual Geranium Sale was a huge success! Thank you to everyone who ordered plants. Thanks to everyone who helped sort those 1488 plants and hand out orders. We'd especially like to thank the staff of Maxwell who took orders. We couldn't have done it without you.
A BIG thank you goes to the Village of Camillus for giving us a new home to hand out orders.
The Friends donated, and planted, two dozen geraniums out in front of the library.
Saturday, June 1 - Friends' Garage Sale in Orchard Village - Despite the heat, we had a mega successful sale. At times, traffic was backed up going in both directions.
Thanks to everyone for their donations of items and time. It was another fun sale!
At our May 20, 2013 Meeting:
Final details and sign up to work at the Garage Sale.
Geranium Sale review - we sold 124 dozen plants. Eighteen geraniums were donated to the library, and planted out in front by a few Friends. Pickup Day at the Village Hall was enjoyed by everyone.
At Our April 15, 2013 Meeting:
The Friends worked out the details for the Geranium Sale.
We still have a few spots left on Saturday, May 18 for Friends to help hand out orders.
An email will be sent out shortly.
At Our March 18, 2013 Meeting:
Patricia Butler, Mayor of the Village of Camillus was our guest speaker.
Mayor Butler spoke about the structure of village government, the plans for the former Camillus Cutlery, and general improvements throughout the village. It was a great 'meeting'!
At Our February 19, 2013 Meeting:
- The Friends approved donating to OCPL's Trivia Contest, and funding 'Take Your Legislator to Lunch'.
- Review of the Chocolate Friends-y Raffle.
- Discussed the Geranium Sale and Garage Sale
At Our January 22, 2013 Meeting:
- The Friends' approved the financial report for the year ending December 31.
Details are below.
- Nominations were made, and officers were elected for the year 2013.
- We announced a new perk for all Friends: Whenever we have a raffle, each Friend will have one FREE ticket entered. This will be done by the person in charge of the raffle. Friends won't have to do it themselves. It's another way we can say "Thank you for being a Friend". This was voted on by the Executive Commitee.
- Our calendar of events for the year was outlined. See below for details.
- The Friends of Maxwell Memorial Library began in 1993 under the leadership of Betty and Jean. They have worked tirelessly to promote the library, and to support it through many special events and fund raising activities. After seventeen years of dedicated service, they passed the torch to Joyce, Sharon, and ML.
- The Friends group was granted a certificate of incorporation by the Board of Regents of the New York State Education Department on June 8, 1998.
- The Friends group was designated a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization by the Internal Revenue Service in May, 2011, enabling donors to take income tax deductions for their donations to the Friends.
Thank you to all the local businesses who generously donated to our raffle:
Creates public support for the library.
Sponsors programs and fund raising events.
Purchases special items for the library not included in the budget.
Meets about once a month to plan and work on upcoming events.
We'd love to have you join us!
Brochures and membership forms are available by the front door at the library.
Fundraising and Special Events for 2013*
Chocolate Friends-y Raffle - February
Raffle for two tickets to a Rosamond Gifford Author Lecture with Lisa See - March
Annual Garage Sale - June 1, 2013
Mile Long Yard Sales in the Village - May 18, 2013.
Geranium Sale in the Spring - April / May
Annual Picnic for Friends - Monday, July 15
Open House - a Saturday in October, for everyone
Bulb Sale - October
Themed Baskets for Raffle
*Subject to change
We have a winner! Joyce F. had the winning ticket, and there were a LOT of tickets.
The drawing was last night (Feb. 13) at the library at 6:00 pm.
It was one of our best raffles. We'll do it again next year, for sure.
Thank you to everyone who bought a ticket.
Friends, whose dues are up to date, had one free ticket entered in this raffle.
Students and Seniors - $10.00
Individual - $15.00
Family - $25.00
Business - $50.00
Forever Friend - $200.00 (one time)
Please make checks out to:
Friends of Maxwell Library
Dues are tax deductible. Checks payable to: Friends of Maxwell Memorial Library
Please pick up a brochure at our display by the front door.
Leave your completed form at the Main Desk, or mail it to:
Friends of Maxwell Memorial Library, 14 Genesese St., Camillus, NY 13031
Thank you for your support!
Monetary Donations to Maxwell Library
$580.00 Large Print Mystery Books - several titles a month for 12 months
$282.00 BookPage - monthly book news and reviews - free for patrons
$219. 89 Book Cart - the blue one!
$87.00 Holiday Decorations - outside wreath, inside poinsettias
$ 133.26 Label Maker for processing new items for library's collection
$ 21.00 Paper supplies for Board sponsored Holiday Party
$1000.00 Summer Reading Program special events - Family
$ 60.00 Cork Bulletin Boards for Children / Teen area
$ 46.98 Magic School Bus DVD set - Children
$2430.13 Total Monetary Donations to Maxwell,
January 1 - December 31, 2012
Income from Fundraisers and Membership Dues
$395.00 Membership Dues
$1058.00 Geranium Sale - April/May
$135.00 Gold Party
$ 96.00 Win Win Raffle - ($100 gift card each to Wegmans and Walmart)
$519.20 Garage Sale - 1st Sat. in June
$229.00 Bulb Sale - Daffodils, Scilla, Paperwhites
$ 50.00 Silent Auction Teddy Bear Wreath
$2654.70 Total Income, January 1 - December 31, 2012
$235.00 Liability Insurance
$224.00 T-shirts for Friends - purchased approx. every 5 years - free to Friends
$ 10.00 Friends' Rubber Stamp
$469.00 Total Friends' Expenses, January 1 - December 31, 2012
The Friends held their first bulb sale this year, offering the bulbs pictured below.
The last day to purchase bulbs was October 27.
Thank you for your support!
King Alfred, Goblet and Scilla
Copyright @2013 Maxwell Memorial Library.
All rights reserved.
Created Sept. 30, 2003
Updated December 02, 2013