Celebrating our 29th Year
We’d Love to Have You Join Us!
Being a member of the Friends of Maxwell is a great way to support the library. The group supports the Library by sponsoring library programs, holding fundraising events, and by being an advocate for the Library. The group is also involved with community outreach programs:
- The Bulk Loan program at a local senior apartment community,
- The Memorial Day Parade Meet and Greet with free giveaways,
- Donate a decorated wreath and tree to the Octagon House Holiday Open House, and
- Onondaga Free Library’s Festival of Trees.
Anticipated Meetings for 2022
First Tuesday of the month at 1:00 PM
- Tuesday, January 4—Annual Meeting (online)
- Tuesday, February 1
- Tuesday, March 1
- Tuesday, April 5
- Tuesday, May 3
- Tuesday, June 7
- July—No Meeting
- Tuesday, August 2
- Tuesday, September 6
- Tuesday, October 4
- Tuesday, November 1
- December—No Meeting
Anticipated Events in Addition to Meetings
- February: Chocolate Friendsy Raffle, Oscar Contest for Patrons, Valentine bouquet to library staff
- March: Pot O’ Gold 50-50 Raffle
- April/May: Geranium Sale, planting flowers and flags, Memorial Day Parade
- June: Junior Friends Garage Sale
- July: Picnic for Friends
- August: Junior Friends Event
- September: Bulb Sale
- October: 50-50 Raffle during National Friends of Libraries Week
- December: Decorate Maxwell for the Holidays
- Free Book Giveaways several times a year
Membership forms are available at the library on the Friends’ shelves. Mail them in, or drop your completed form off at the Main Desk.
There is no cost to join; donations are appreciated (and optional). Please make checks out to: Friends of Maxwell Memorial Library.
The Friends of Maxwell Memorial Library group is an incorporated 501 (c)(3)
National Friends of Libraries Week Award: 2021
The Friends are honored to be the recipient of the 2021 National Friends of Libraries Week Award.
National Friends of Libraries Week is held every October. In 2021, the Friends collaborated on several programs such as an art exhibit and the Mischief at Maxwell Halloween event. The Friends are one of two groups nationwide to receive this award, and they will receive special recognition at the American Library Association’s United for Libraries conference in August 2022.
Certificate of Merit — 2019
The Friends are pleased to be the recipient of a 2019 Daniel W. Casey Advocacy Certificate of Merit by the Friends section of the New York Library Association (NYLA).
This honor has been given “in recognition of the Friends of Maxwell Memorial Library for their exceptionally active and creative service to a library in a smaller community.”