Celebrating our 30th Year
We’d Love to Have You Join Us!
Being a member of the Friends of Maxwell is a great way to support the library. The group supports the Library by sponsoring library programs, holding fundraising events, and by being an advocate for the Library. The group is also involved with community outreach programs:
- The Bulk Loan program at a local senior apartment community,
- The Memorial Day Parade Meet and Greet with free giveaways,
- Donate a decorated wreath and tree to the Octagon House Holiday Open House, and
- Onondaga Free Library’s Festival of Trees.
Friends’ 2023 Geranium Sale
The Friends of Maxwell Memorial Library are excited to announce their 19th Geranium Sale! These beautiful summer flowers come in 4.5 inch pots and are available in five colors:
- Salmon splash
- Single flower: $5
- Half dozen: $25
- Dozen: $40
All flowers must be preordered and prepaid. Complete details are on the order form.
Order forms are also available in the Friends’ display space at Maxwell.
Thank you for supporting the Friends and Maxwell Library!
Friends’ Giveaways for April
- In honor of National Poetry Month, the Friends will be giving away several books of poetry! All you need to do is enter your name, contact info, and circle the title of the book you’d like to win.
- The Friends are sponsoring a contest to guess the number of jelly beans for cash prizes! Free to enter, for all ages.
- One lucky Friend will win a “Think Spring” gift basket of goodies in a free drawing, so join the Friends now! Visit the Friends’ display on top of the card catalog for more information.
Anticipated Meetings for 2023
First Tuesday of the month at 1:00 PM (unless otherwise noted)
- Tuesday, January 3—Annual Meeting
- Tuesday, February 7
- Tuesday, March 7
- Tuesday, April 4
- Tuesday, May 2—Update: May’s meeting will be held on Zoom.
- Tuesday, June 6—Update: June’s meeting has been cancelled.
- July/August—No Meetings (summer picnic TBA)
- Tuesday, September 12 at 12:30 PM
- Tuesday, October 3
- Tuesday, November 7
- December—No Meeting
Anticipated Events in Addition to Meetings
- January: Membership Drive
- February: Valentine giveaway
- March: Shamrock sale
- April/May: Geranium Sale
- June: Junior Friends Garage Sale
- July/August: Summer Reading giveaways
- September: Fall raffle
- October: 50-50 Raffle during National Friends of Libraries Week
- November: Junior Friends event
- December: Decorate Maxwell and outreach for the Holidays
- Free Book Giveaways several times a year
Membership forms are available here and at the library on the Friends’ card catalog display. Mail them in, or drop your completed form off at the Main Desk.
There is no cost to join; donations are appreciated (and optional). Please make checks out to: Friends of Maxwell Memorial Library.
The Friends of Maxwell Memorial Library group is an incorporated 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
National Friends of Libraries Week Award: 2021
The Friends are honored to be the recipient of the 2021 National Friends of Libraries Week Award.
National Friends of Libraries Week is held every October. In 2021, the Friends collaborated on several programs such as an art exhibit and the Mischief at Maxwell Halloween event. The Friends are one of two groups nationwide to receive this award, and they will receive special recognition at the American Library Association’s United for Libraries conference in August 2022.
Certificate of Merit — 2019
The Friends are pleased to be the recipient of a 2019 Daniel W. Casey Advocacy Certificate of Merit by the Friends section of the New York Library Association (NYLA).
This honor has been given “in recognition of the Friends of Maxwell Memorial Library for their exceptionally active and creative service to a library in a smaller community.”
- Email the Friends at
- Like the Friends on Facebook
- Follow the Friends’ blog at
Last updated on May 16th, 2023 at 04:01 pm